Father Ronilo Villamor, Pastor

Father Domingo Cruz, In-residence

12911 East Main Street

P.O. Box 10

Larose, LA 70373

985-693-3433

Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church Larose, Louisiana Mail: holyrosarychurch@htdiocese.org

A permanent church, which would serve all of the South Lafourche communities, came into a reality with the donation of land from Octive Harang. In 1873, a small wooden church was built and the first priest, Rev. Hyacinthe Brindejone, served the community of about 300 until 1876. Rev. Dominic Crespin, who stayed until 1879, replaced him. In 1879, Rev. Oliver Bre was assigned to serve the people of this area. Rev. E.F. Lavacquery became pastor and served in the capacity until 1889. During these times, the small community grew and it became necessary to enlarge the church. This was accomplished under the Pastorship of Rev. Emile Peufier. Fr. Peufier was reassigned in 1890 and was replaced by Fr. Adrien Kohner. The trustees of the parish, along with Fr. Kohner under Archbishop Francis Janssens formed the corporation of The Congregation de Notre Dame du Rosaire on August 7, 1894. In 1896, Rev. A.M. Rochard effected minor repairs to the church and also started efforts for the establishment of a chapel in Cut Off to serve the people of the lower part of Lafourche Parish. In the late 1800’s, the community became known as Larose after the local druggist who had a post office in his store.


From 1899 to 1906, the Rev. B.G. Durand served. The Harang Canal became known as the Harvey Canal and was later utilized by the United States War Department and renamed the Intracoastal Waterway. By utilizing the development of the waterway. Rev. Alexander Juille’ arranged the further remodeling and enlargement of the church during his tenure from 1906 to 1912. He acquired a set of chimes and other necessary equipment for the church. He also furthered the spiritual growth of the South Lafourche community by constructing chapels in Golden Meadow and Galliano. The parish plant was enlarged with the purchase of property from the Foret family. Rev. Juille’ died in 1912 and was buried in Holy Rosary Cemetery, which he helped to develop and improve.


Upon the death of Rev. Juille’, Fr. F. M. Jan was assigned to serve the people of Larose. In 1915, the chapel in Golden Meadow was released from Larose and became Our Lady of Prompt Succor parish. Likewise, the Cote Blanche (Cut Off) chapel became Sacred Heart parish and the Galliano chapel became St. Joseph parish. The small communities of the 1850’s had grown enough to support their own churches.


Rev. J.M. Evano served from 1918 to 1925 and continued the work of meeting the needs of the people by improving the church. While on a visit to France, Fr. Evano died.


Rev. Charles Tessier became pastor. Through his foresight, a new church building was completed on February 21, 1933. This was the third church built on this site and is the present church used by the people of Larose. The church could accommodate 565 families at a cost of only $ 33,000. A church hall was built in 1915 and served as a theatre for showing silent movies. The first Larose branch library was housed at the hall along with recreation and CYO boxing programs. Fr. Tessier celebrated his golden sacerdotal jubilee on December 19, 1937 in Larose. He served as pastor of Larose until his death in 1950. Fr. Tessier is also buried in Holy Rosary Cemetery.


FFrom 1899 to 1906, the Rev. B.G. Durand served. The Harang Canal became known as the Harvey Canal and was later utilized by the United States War Department and renamed the Intracoastal Waterway. By utilizing the development of the waterway. Rev. Alexander Juille’ arranged the further remodeling and enlargement of the church during his tenure from 1906 to 1912. He acquired a set of chimes and other necessary equipment for the church. He also furthered the spiritual growth of the South Lafourche community by constructing chapels in Golden Meadow and Galliano. The parish plant was enlarged with the purchase of property from the Foret family. Rev. Juille’ died in 1912 and was buried in Holy Rosary Cemetery, which he helped to develop and improve.


Upon the death of Rev. Juille’, Fr. F. M. Jan was assigned to serve the people of Larose. In 1915, the chapel in Golden Meadow was released from Larose and became Our Lady of Prompt Succor parish. Likewise, the Cote Blanche (Cut Off) chapel became Sacred Heart parish and the Galliano chapel became St. Joseph parish. The small communities of the 1850’s had grown enough to support their own churches.


Rev. J.M. Evano served from 1918 to 1925 and continued the work of meeting the needs of the people by improving the church. While on a visit to France, Fr. Evano died.

Rev. Charles Tessier became pastor. Through his foresight, a new church building was completed on February 21, 1933. This was the third church built on this site and is the present church used by the people of Larose. The church could accommodate 565 families at a cost of only $ 33,000. A church hall was built in 1915 and served as a theatre for showing silent movies. The first Larose branch library was housed at the hall along with recreation and CYO boxing programs. Fr. Tessier celebrated his golden sacerdotal jubilee on December 19, 1937 in Larose. He served as pastor of Larose until his death in 1950. Fr. Tessier is also buried in Holy Rosary Cemetery.



During the last years of Fr. Tessier, an associate pastor was assigned. Rev. Arthur Lieux stayed on as administrator after Fr. Tessier died. Fr. Lieux directed a passion play in the church hall. Under his leadership, youth organizations became active. Fr. Lieux was transferred in 1950. The new pastor was Rev. Maurice Gubler who served from 1950 to 1953 and was followed by Rev. G.T. Rief who served until 1955.


Rev. Emile Fossier became the next pastor and served from 1955 to 1965. Rev. Fossier’s dedicated accomplishments included the renovation of the church; stained glass windows were installed, which depict the mysteries of the Rosary. Holy Rosary School opened its doors in 1963. The school was formed to serve children in the South Lafourche community. At its inception, the school housed 42 students in first and second grades under the direction of Fr. Fossier and the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception who served as faculty. The introduction of Confraternity of Christian Doctrine began as a program. Catechism had always been taught, but not as a continuing program after Confirmation. During his tenure, the community suffered the devastation of a tornado from Hurricane Hilda. Twenty-three persons were left dead.












 The interior of the church today.


Rev. Preston Marquette served one year in the parish and promoted the enclosure of the two lower classrooms and addition of two grades to the school.


Rev. William Koninkx initiated the project of having the parish of Our Lady of the Rosary identified by sections. During his pastorate from 1966 to 1970, Fr. Koninkx spearheaded the naming of streets in the area. This alleviated the frustration that arose in locating homes for sick calls and other visits. He also brought the laity to greater awareness through the organization of a parish council. The first phase of a mausoleum was started during this period.


Rev. Austin Carrico become associate in 1965 and continued until 1968. His heart condition kept him from being active, yet he found joy in various carpentry jobs in church before he was transferred to retirement in 1968. It was the same year that Rev. John Keller came to Larose as an associate. Fr. Keller organized a Religious Education Committee. His experience overseas as a Maryknoll Missionary Priest made him conscious of the need for religious education. Fr. Keller established a summer religious education program that coordinated with a Saturday program during the school year. He served for three years with Fr. Koninkx, then with Rev. Sterling Beninato who became pastor in 1970.


Fr. Beninato knew many of the parishioners from his earlier associations and tenure at Holy Savior in Lockport. While pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary, he continued working with his special interest, a Charismatic Community in New Orleans, as he started a Charismatic Community in Larose.


In 1973, the Congregation of Notre Dame du Rosaire celebrated its Centennial. Fr. Keller became administrator in 1973 and stayed until 1976. He made the parish aware of the need for Social Ministry. His interest in fostering the continuing expansion of the Alter Boys carried over from Fr. Koninkx. He installed the first Eucharistic Ministers. Rev. Malachy McCool, a native of Ireland, arrived as associate in 1973 and stayed for seven years. Fr. McCool also served the new pastor, Rev. Warren Chassaniol.


Fr. Chassaniol exhibited a quiet approach to his priestly duties, and especially liked to decorate the altars with fresh flowers. Another associate during the year 1980-81 was Rev. Calvin Burleigh. Rev. Roger Raux also came in 1980 and served as associate for six years. He returned to France after his tenure in Larose.


Rev. Dean Danos, a native of Larose, was the first Pastor in the Diocese of Houma Thibodaux named to serve the parish he grew up in. He assumed the duties of pastor in 1985 and remained pastor until 2005.


A new rectory was purchased and the old rectory has become the Parish Office. Staff development grew, along with laity involvement in the parish under Fr. Dean's tenure. The cemetery has doubled in size over the years..


Rev. Joseph Pierera became administrator from 2005 to 2006. In 2006, Rev. Francis Bui became pastor.  Rev. Alberto Santiago joined us in 2008 as Associate Pastor. Fr. Francis left in 2010. Fr. Alberto became pastor and left in 2011. Fr. Robert Rogers became administrator until Fr. Ronilo Villamor became pastor in 2012. Fr. Domingo Cruz is serving as associate pastor.


Deacon Michael Cantrelle, a native of Larose, has served as Deacon in our parish since his ordination on May 18, 1996.


Deacon Davis Doucet also serves the parish.

History of Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church

CHAPEL- In the mid 1800s, a small chapel was built on the Banks of Bayou Lafourche near Canal Harang.The community was not yet named Larose.

TAKE THE TOUR!

In the mid 1800’s a small community was beginning to emerge on the banks of Bayou Lafourche near Canal Harang. The community had no official name as yet. The people of the community needed a place for religious services, so they built a small Catholic chapel on the southeast bank of the junction of Bayou Lafourche and Canal Harang. In the 1860’s, a priest from the northern part of Lafourche Parish would visit this little chapel four times a year to do baptisms, give communion and religious instruction. For other religious services, people of the community would have to travel 12 miles north on Bayou Lafourche to Lockport to have marriages performed and to bury their loved one. But with the growth in this small community came a greater demand for it’s spiritual need.